Sunday, December 10, 2006

George of the Jungle

My guilty pleasure movie, the movie I always love to watch, a movie I own in VHS, but must get on DVD is George of the Jungle. When I worked at Sears, that movie would always play on the big screens. Of course, after maybe the 5th viewing, I became the reason the movie played constantly.

George of the Jungle has some of the best humourous lines I've heard in a movie. It isn't that great of a movie, but I love it. I always laugh when they're in the jungle. Everyone does an excellent job being their character. I love Ursula's high pitched peppiness. I love John Cleese's Ape. I love the narrator's inclusion in the story. That may be what lead to my fascination with Arrested Development, the comedic inclusion of the narrator.

The best thing about George of the Jungle was the Bujumburan guides. I love the looks on their faces whenever they talked to or about Lyle. Especially when they "rescue" the guy Lyle knocked off the bridge.

After watching the movie twice in as many days, my liking of this movie is greatly enhanced. Brendan Fraser is great in the movie. Leslie Mann makes the name, Ursula, much prettier than it is alone. The lines from the Bujumburan guides make me laugh every time and Christian Haydn Church as Lyle Van deGroot is aptly and humourously irritating. The best, though, is Ursula's mother, played by Holland Taylor. She does an excellent job in a similar role on Two and a Half Men. I love that character on her.

There's something about having a guilty pleasure movie. It's the movie you feel little or no shame in watching. You know everyone has theirs. However, if you have too many guilty pleasure movies, then you may just like bad movies, which is what brought us to MST3K... a show I wish would come back. So what's your guilty pleasure movie? Do you have a television show that reminds you of it?

No comments: