Friday, September 22, 2006

Ratings

Dear Nielsen Ratings System,

For so long, you have had a part in deciding what shows stay and which shows go. You help regulate the amount of money that gets made from commercials per each hour, per channel, and right now, I only know one person who has ever gotten to keep a television diary and he doesn't like House. Now, there's competition for your television affection.

Your reign of tyranny is ending. You are no longer the sole officiator of how well a show does. Your power is quickly dwindling. People can now go online the next day and watch a show. People are no longer chained to a certain night for television watching and as networks gain money through internet advertising, they will see that there has always been more viewers out there than you predicted.

I think the reason I am glad for your waning power is because I was never included. Oh, it's not that I necessarily wanted to be a Nielsen family. It's that something always kept me from prime time viewing. I wanted to get into shows, but I was always working at night. It would have been nice if network television did what cable television has been doing with their shows, replaying them at different times for those who work and can't catch shows. Now, with the internet, I am able to arrange my television viewing schedule to suit my timetable. In the world of television viewing, I am FREE!

So I hope that every network gets on the bandwagon. CBS, your Innertube looks good. You just need to make sure it runs smoothly for the millions of unanticipated people who visit your site. ABC, nice try. Fox, you are normally known for being cutting edge, but now you're letting your conservative side show... don't be scared spitless when it comes to new technology. NBC, call me when you get your videos to work correctly.

Yes, it is a flawed system, but if we, the huddled masses, were to rise up and watch videos on our computer, we would have more say in the shows we get to see at a later date. Who's with me!?!

Yours Truly,
This Girl

No comments: