Saturday, April 07, 2007

Holy Frak Explained

Unlike other sci-fi shows that use space to find the new and freakish in the outer limits, Battlestar Galactica has spent the last two seasons searching for the familiar, us. Even their "aliens" are mechanized copies of ourselves. The pigs are walking and they are Cylons.

In the This Girl family, there is a divide over the Cylons. I am a fan of Sharon, the one that loved humanity enough to stay, to carry the child of a human and put her stock with this group. My husband was against Cylon Sharon from the start, hoping Adama would have her thrown out of the airlock. We engaged in many conversations about prisoners of war, loyalty, and war itself, all because of this little sci-fi show. I am sympathetic towards the cylons we see try to be "good". No cylon is good in my husband's book.

Which is why the season finale was so... interesting, to say the least. Arresting. As they were all standing in the room after following the music, Chief says, "That's all it takes..." Up until that point, I knew that I should know what was going on - kind of like an "on the tip of my tongue" type of feeling - but then it was clear and the first word in my head was FRAK! For my husband, what would this mean for our "love" of these characters? Are we going to spend the next season wondering when these characters will be activated? Why are these characters not known?

Battlestar Galactica has proven that, even in a season with so many missteps, that the ability to write gripping shows has not been lost. From Apollo's speech to the President's vision, from new cylons to seeing Starbuck, the writers of Battlestar Galactica, who sometimes made us feel we would rather watch Blood Ties instead, made us long not only for the 4th season, but for any bit of Galactica goodness we could have. I know we're all still hoping that interest in Caprica would resurface and we will take the Battlestar movie we get until the new season, but oh, how I long for the new season. I wonder what will be happen next? Who is the 5th Cylon - Laura Roslin or Starbuck? Or will the writers get us after all and make it Adama? Will the other Cylons now sense that the 4 have been discovered? How will they continue to hide their new status? What about this new half human half cylon baby? Will Tyrol apologize to Sharon? And oh my word, is this going to make Col. Tigh more of a pirate than he already has been? What will earth be like? If any of you have questions or speculations, I would love to have something more to think about as I wait for the 4th season.

No comments: