Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Tudors' Blood Ties

In a way that doesn't happen often, sci fi and re-imagined history inhabit the same time as The Tudors' Henry VIII's just born son, Henry Fitzroy is Blood Ties' resident vampire. Only Tanya Huff knows how baby Henry made it from 1519, to helping in paranormal investigations as a dead sexy vampire in 2007.

The Tudors started out well enough. Two episodes in and other than the fact that I watched the first two episodes online and the somewhat grotesque blurring of naughty parts that was slightly more scary than a horror film. With all the history and conjecture that period has, this could prove to be a very entertaining imagining of that life. If the writing bears up over the next few years, the show should have no problem coming up with stories. I wasn't blown away by the writing. The acting is okay and I find myself liking Thomas More and feeling sad about his ultimate fate. The most striking thing, though, is how similar Henry the VII's Jonathan Rhys Meyer, and Henry Fitzroy's Kyle Schmid, look. I think it's the chin and something about the way the mouth looks when they smile... Something...

Blood Ties, in its own way, is interesting. I am sometimes somewhat confused by the sudden appearance of rap music in the midst of the episode, but in general I am interested in where the show could go. There are too many awkward pauses, but I like the paranormal stuff and the dialogue has ventured into the interesting on several occasions. I think the sexual tension is well done and I definitely like this vampire show better than television's re-imagined Blade, but I may be alone in that one. It will be interesting to see where each show leads.

No comments: