Monday, July 02, 2007

MacGyver... ummm, I mean, Burn Notice

I used to love MacGyver. I'm sure I'll tell you it was the story or watching him make anything with duct tape. But in reality, it was Richard Dean Anderson. It was the 80s. He had cool hair and a very nice profile.

So I watched Burn Notices with some trepidation. I mean, a spy that puts things together... c'mon!

But Jeffery Donovan does a good job of walking in Richard Dean Anderson's shoes. Not only does he have the know-how, with credible stories that explains how he came to such knowledge, but he also has the looks. However, I may develop a girl crush on bad-ass Fiona, played by Gabrielle Anwar.

The show is very sly, with deadpan voice-overs and equally deadpan looks from the lead actor. I loved how he found out that his services were no longer required. The Mercedes SUV joke at the beginning pretty much set the tone of the show. Menacing men with guns, scruffy looking wise guy, wry humour. Then add Bruce Campbell being his pervy best and a hypochondriac Cagney and you've got a pretty good mix of comedy and action.

I'm not going to tell you that you should watch this show, but I am going to suggest that missing this show might be extremely poor planning.

4 comments:

Michael Collins said...

Jeffrey Donovan, Richard Dean Anderson, watch yourselves!

Anonymous said...

Yeah right. Burn notice is a cheap rip-off from MacGyver. Instead of making something original and exciting, they copy the main character from the show, use the same format, and throw a woman in there for sex appeal. I've watched quite a few episodes now and I've decided: BURN NOTICE SUCKS.

Unknown said...

aw, that's sad that you can't enjoy it. Well, I hear you can catch re-runs of MacGyver on CBS.com, maybe that'll cheer you up.

As for me, I've enjoyed Burn Notice so far. I love the dry humor of it all.

Anonymous said...

A lot of things mcgiver did where not possible in reality while most of the things (if not all) you see in burn notice are actually possible.